1. Most people have not done their homework to understand the science involved. For example, many still believe antidepressants are addictive!
2. A strong cultural bias along with stories of botched cases fuel the cruel judgmentalism so prevalent in society.
3. People who negatively stereotype the medicines and the people who take them have never experienced the shift from being moderately to severely depressed into feeling the miraculous relief of remission (freedom from the pain and limitations of depression).
4. Many women are still being treated with antidepressants when their symptoms are caused by a progesterone deficiency (PMS, perimenopause and menopause), not a serotonin and/or norepinephrine deficiency!
5. Most failed cases (the ones you hear about the most) are caused by inadequately trained general practitioners. (See below, regarding who should be practicing this speciality).